Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My Life...try to keep up

Yesterday I went to the Nine Inch Nails (NIN) and Jane's Addiction (JA) concert. It was amazing! This is NIN's last tour and they've been one of the bands that's on my list of must-sees. I wish I could figure out how to take pictures from my phone and post them up on here; I have a couple of sweet videos from the show.

So here's the big update of what's going on with my life for the next few months.

I didn't get hired at any of the schools where I interviewed even though my "interview was perfect" and there was "nothing I should change." So of course, my life went into a state of shock for about a week because I had no idea what I was going to do last year. After being turned down from four schools where I supposedly did all the right things, kind of left me with a feeling of helplessness. So during my week of "shock," I kicked around A LOT of different ideas. Military, back to school, modeling, substitute teaching, a career in business, moving back home, prostitution, moving to California and becoming a surf bum, extortion.... you get the point. However, the one that made the most sense was to go back to school and finish my French degree. I'm only about 9-12 credits shy and it's highly possible for me to finish it in Grenoble (beautiful city at the base of the french-Swiss alps). Since the program wouldn't start until January or February, that leaves me about 5 months of no job, no money, no insurance.... So I've talked with Ryan (head soccer coach at West) and he said that I could definitely stay and JV soccer even if I don't have a job at West. Then I could substitute teach in the districts in and around Denver and possibly pick up a second job. The substitute teaching job would be perfect because it would leave me the flexibility to study for the GRE and prep myself for a master's or PHD program the following year. I could also focus on my level 2 ski certification exam to open up a ski instructing opportunity in the French Alps while I'm studying. Unfortunately, I'll probably have to pick up a third job until ski season starts....so back to the service industry I guess.


Now mind you all, this is still up in the air. I would much rather prefer a stable job during the fall and then go back to school, but this looks like the plan of attack thus far.

On top of all this, I did happen to find out some disturbing information from one of the administration teams I interviewed with. Apparently one of my non-reference administrators at West High School has been telling schools I interviewed for that "Andy misses a lot of M0ndays and Fridays BECAUSE he's skiing." Now the first part of the statement is true, but the second part ("because I'm skiing") is completely ridiculous. The fact that an administrator would automatically assume something like that without confronting me (they would have no proof that the reason I missed is for skiing) and potentially jeopardize my future job opportunities is a really big slap to the face. I've missed majority of my Friday's due to Math-CTE and Algebra training which is verified by my administration before granted. There's no possible way to shake this awful feeling from my stomach. This could have been the small flaw to cost me my dream job opportunities in Vail and Steamboat Springs. I've confronted everyone in my administration team (professionally of course) and don't really no what else to do. I just told them to direct any questions about my absences directly to me; since I'm the only one who knows exactly why I was not at work.

Well this is my last week at Denver West High School. I just need to get all my files off this computer and move some posters to the car and summer vacation starts. I'm really excited to go back to Michigan and see my friends and family again. It's been way too long.

No comments: