Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Bonking and 9th grade teams

So just a quick little update...


The weather has been phenomenal the past few days and I have been very motivated in my running and swimming efforts :) I've done 4 days straight so far of swimming (I definitely regret taking 2 weeks off) and my running mileage (with no two-a-days) is up to 50 miles per week including a long run and a hill workout.


So yesterday I was feeling quite motivated and decided to tack an extra 10 minutes on to my hill workout at Red Rocks. Unfortunately, I COMPLETELY BONKED on the run. The best way I can describe bonking is when you just have no energy left (like if you're eating a ton of food and you're stuffed, and you still make yourself finish the meal). After about 20 minutes I already went into oxygen debt and each climb was a huge struggle...almost a walk. So I pushed on til I got to the top of the main peak and checked my watch and actually did it faster than I usually do. Odd, since I felt like I was going to die. After that first major incline my legs loosened up and it actually turned out to be quite a decent workout even though I don't recommend running along mountain sides on loose gravel when your legs are exhausted. Not to mention I ate an entire large hot and ready afterwards. The run was really exciting too because there were tons of other runners out there as well! Which brings me to my next point, I've found quite a few running groups in the Denver area and decided that I should probably put a little more effort into meeting people (not from Winter Park) - so I'll be doing 2 or 3 runs a week with random groups. I'll let you how the first one goes on Thursday!


Teaching has been going really well here. I was chosen to be on one of the 9th grade teams for next year, sweet! Basically our principal has decided to group the 9th graders together on one floor and have half the kids always go to the same group of teachers (math, science, English, history). This is to help cut down on discipline issues and give us a better network because all of us have the same students. I'm also on a team with teachers who share similar strategies and have pretty much the same mindset as me. I already tell that next year will be stellar.


Final note (I promise), Eugene and Dena might be coming out here for a week to road trip back to Michigan with me!!! Can't wait.


So much for a "quick" update huh?

No comments: