Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Free Your Mountain

Every morning I wake up to the sun rising out my back window over Peak One. I can honestly say this is the reason I moved to Colorado. Breathing that crisp air and watching the sun slowly creep over the mountains as I walk to the bus stop each morning makes the six below windchill completely bearable. I've skied or rode 17 days in a row so far. Sometimes, my coworkers look at me like I'm crazy as I get into gear during my 10 minute break; just so I can get to the bus quicker and make the most of my hour long lunch break. This is why I live here.

I moved up here a few weeks ago and crashed at my friend Tripp and Carly's until I found a place. I was really hoping to find something in downtown Frisco (closest town to Copper Mountain and great place to hangout), but subleases get posted on Craigslist and are taken in about 2 hours. However, I got a lucky break and found a place just a few blocks from Main Street. Tripp found the number on his phone, I called the landlord, drove over there in a half an hour, Tripp happened to have $150 in his wallet to secure the place, and now I have a home. During that 30 minute drive down there, five people had called to try and secure the room - in fact, my friend Andrew from work was actually on the phone talking to him as I walked in the door. Sucks for him haha

I work at the Copper Call Center as a Vacation Sales Associate. Despite hating talking on the phone and not being able to stay still for more the five minutes, I love the job. My office is at the base of the Super Bee which accesses all the steep terrain at Copper Mountain, get ride breaks, the job pays well, I get commission, and don't do any "cold calling." Basically, people call me to book their vacation and my job is to tell them how awesome skiing and Copper Mountain is.

I've also decided to keep my part-time ski instructor job at Winter Park. I love that mountain too much and all the friends I've made over the past three years to let it go. I actually enjoy the job so much that I would do it for free.

Thanksgiving is by far my favorite holiday. It's basically stress free- cook food, watch football, eat food, watch football, catch up on life with your friends and family, eat more food. What could be better than that?? Well, riding for 5 hours while the Turkey is cooking in the oven was definitely an added perk to the holiday.

Wednesday night my friends Jonny, Lauren and Ryan came up from Denver to ride Thursday morning while the turkey baked in the oven. After tearing through the snow for a few hours, we went back home and my friends Goat, Erin, Tripp and Carly came over (everyone brought some wine and prepared a couple dishes) and had dinner together. I definitely felt grown-up for a good portion of since we were listening to Frank Sinatra as dinner was prepared. So we put on some Tupac and Biggie Smalls while we ate to make it better. All the food turned out great and we had a stellar time. Unfortunately, I ate so much food that I'm still in a food coma this morning.

Today is my first "official" day of work at Copper Mountain. After three weeks of learning the different systems to book lodging, flights, lift tickets, ski lessons, etc, I finally get to be on the phone and sell some stuff. So if anyone wants to come stay at Copper, I'll hook you up. My extension is 19951 hahaha

**Small side note**

Copper Mountain was sold last week to a new company called Powdr Corp. Definitely something that opened my eyes to the business world. Due to this, many supervisors at Copper have been fired. However, this doesn't have any immediate affect on my job or any of my coworkers. I do think that this is a good thing for Copper in the long-run. Intrawest (the old company who also owns Winter Park and Steamboat) is more of a real estate based company while Powdr Corp is a ski resort based company out of Park City, Utah. Thankfully, I don't lose any of my ski and ride benefits (e.g. free skiing at Winter Park, Steamboat, Telluride, Aspen, etc..). In fact, I received an email two days ago from the Town Hall Meeting stating that we might get the Powdr Corp benefits as well - which means I will be making a road trip to Park City this spring :)

No comments: