Friday, March 6, 2009

Dying Disease Part 2

Okay, so I know I've pretty much sucked with updating my blog and regardless of my excuses I apologize and should be letting everyone know what's going on out here in God's country.

First of all, this winter season has been awesome (as far as me getting better at both riding and skiing). Since my last post, I've skiied at Durango Mountain, Telluride, Echo, Copper, Keystone, Breckenridge and of course the usuals (Winter Park and A-Basin).
Telluride was a phenomenal trip. My friends Jonny, Lauren, Sam and I went out there for a weekend and stayed with my friend Sarah for a day and then stayed with Jake's dad Jim for a day near Durango Mountain. Telluride was phenomenal, Sam and I hiked about 45 minutes, rode down a chute then hiked over to an untouched bowl. We ducked a rope and almost got our passes suspended for 2 years, but well worth it.


This is Telluride and right above the ("u" in "Telluride is where we rode)


On Mondays I've been doing an after school snowboarding program at Echo Mountain. It's a really small ski area (by Colorado standards) but has night skiing and is a great place to learn to ride park. Everyday I've been there, all I do is practice freestyle snowboarding with the kids. So here's what I've learned so far:




180 (front and backside, switch and regular)
About 10 degrees away from a 360 off a wall
tail grab, nose grab, mute grab, rail slide (on a box, rail, pipe)

This is a mute grab :p


switch - riding the board backwards

grabs - tail = back of board, nose = front of board, mute = middle of board, backside = when you rotate, your back goes across the front of you

Tonight we have a make-up day, so I get to ski and ride 4 days in a row!!!


Let me tell you about the more responsible aspect of my life:


So I decided to resign from my job here at West High School. DPS has way too much b.s. and is causing me to be way to stressed out with my life - to the point where I don't really act like myself even when I'm having fun up in the mountains. I've applied for jobs in Breckenridge, Vail and Winter Park school district areas. So keep your fingers crossed!!!


I've also decided to pursue a teaching abroad program..... IN CHINA!!! I'd be teaching high schoolers that want to become teachers for the month of July in Jiangsu. I just sent in all my application materials, so keep your fingers and toes crossed - this would be an amazing experience. I want my masters degree to involve working with students from outside of the United States and I think this program would be a great resume builder and an all around awesome experience. If I get accepted, the only thing I need to pay for is my plane ticket and I also receive a salary.


Most recent note - I've came down with the dying disease....again! Seriously, I just got over it last week. I've decided to go through major detox and am only eating non-processed whole foods until I get better.

No comments: