Saturday, May 3, 2008

Hell No We Won't Go!

or something like that...

So Thursday I was at my first (probably of many) teacher protests. Denver Public is talking about cutting benefits and time off for the third straight year so I decided to support my fellow staff and go picket outside the administration building. I think the protest definitely had potential of being pretty sweet. They had a dj and music blasting while we walked circles around the building. All they needed was a bbq and a keg to make it a pretty sweet party. I'll be better prepared next rally.

So I met up with the Denver Trail Runners group at Red Rocks to make some friends and get some running buddies. It was definitely a good experience. We ended up doing a little over 9 miles and I forgot how much better/easier it is to run with large groups. Afterwards we were going to all head out to dinner, but Barb had lost her keys somewhere on the run so I offerred to drive her back to Denver and call it a night. The ability levels in this group have quite a far range. For example, Barb has done to FULL Ironman Triathlons, a 50 mile ultra marathon, the Lake Tahoe marathon series (3 marathons in 3 days), Pike's Peak climb half marathon( 7000ft!!) and some other crazy event. There's also a lady that wasn't there today that runs sub 16:00 5ks and is trying to qualify for the Olympic Trials tomorrow and people who are just out there for a good time.

Friday we had a professional development day to learn how to teach with the new books we're getting next year - long and boring. Afterwards I did a 6 mile runner and had a killer pool workout. 1 mile in 32:30 :) I then met up with Rae, Jesus and some other friends at the Park Tavern and played some hockey for the rest of the evening. Supposedly today there's supposed to be a huge bbq in Cherry Creek (south end of Denver) so I need to go get my run and swim done for the day.

No comments: